Monday, March 10, 2008

A New Dawn for Malaysia

As everyone already knows, there was a huge loss for BN in the 12th General Election 2008 last Saturday.
Key points:
1) BN lost two-thirds of its majority, the last time this happen was in 1969.
2) BN lost 5 states, among them the PM's home state of Penang and the premier state of Selangor.
The loss is attributed to the growing racial tensions, rising crime rates, rising cost of living (most notably rising petrol prices, toll prices etc.), and corruption.
The months leading up to election should be an indication to the BN that they would lose some of their seats, but no one expected them to lose their two thirds majority (BERSIH & HINDRAF).This is certainly a major wake up call to the governing party of Malaysia.
(This is my opinion la: Abdullah is not very bright, he knows that this time the opposition will be stronger, sumore have such a long campaigning period, then the rakyat foster even more antagonism, cos the opposition can campaign even more-_______-, I dunno la, thats what i think)

The results of this general election reflect the loss in confidence of the rakyat towards the Abdullah administration. He made many promises during the 2004 General Elections that have yet to be fulfilled, one of the most notable is anti-corruption. He shoould have capitalized and made full use of the support and that the rakyat gave him in 2004 GE (BN winning by a 91% majority). There is few or no where else in the world that a leader would get such a huge mandate.

Another issue is the Khairy Jamaluddin issue, as Tun Mahathir said,"This young man has no achievement whatsoever, but the PM listens to him."
Everyone else knows what Khairy is all about, but I wont say it here, because I dont want to be ISA-ed.

The BN also said that we have achieved growth in economy by throwing us figures, but all I can see is the rising cost of living, even though I live overseas for a good part of the year.

Ok, as EVRYONE knows,there are so many more issues about the gov (Samy, old racial issues,crime rates, the crooked EC etc etc) thats all I'm going to write about, because I need to go and cook dinner soon.

By the way, I hope the opposition guys dont disappoint. They better not be all talk and no action. Espeically, in Subang Jaya (the best place in Malaysia ok? cause I was born there and live there my whole life). Quite worried la, because Hannah Yeoh is only 27, thats damn young ok! Dunno whether can lead or not. I have nothing against young people because I'm 'young' too.

Honestly, I am scared of Malaysia's future and more importantly, I am scared for the future of Chinese in Malaysia. The cold hard reality is we will ALWAYS be the minority in Malaysia (and I dont think we chinese will ever be treated as equals-things might be better), and I am sure that if the situation was reversed (ie: chinese are majority), we won't act any different. Its the survival of the fittest (race). haha, I did learn something in bio.

So, my hopes are (as a Chinese), the govt after this wake up call, will start relising that we are part of bangsa Malayisa, and meritocracy please!!!! Especially in education (I damn tulan about this issue ok, even though it has been 3 years already),how can Malaysia achieve Wawasan 2020 if all the smart people escape to overseas due to disatisfaction with the gov.
Sadly to say, one example is yours truly, and now with this election, I'm even more scared to go back to Malaysia. The country is in political shambles, and this will surely affect investors' confidence and the economy. (Aiyohhhh, this means exchange rate will increase again, wtf!!!) Better faster change money now.

HOPEFULLY, some great improvements will be seen, we need a change dammit!!! and the govt should stop being complacent and sweep matters under the carpet.

On another note, I'm sorry and sad that my father lost in the election, but am sure as hell not sad that the BN lost its two thirds majority. Aiyahh, the rakyat now just have so much antagonism towards the gov, that whatever it is, as long as the dont vote for BN means its good.

This is going to be a VERY INTERESTING year. Hopefully changes for the good can be seen.

No comments: